Sergio Aguero Or Luis Suarez? Who is the better player?
The two most celebrated strikers of the Premier League are often ratioed by their rivals on meaningless stats. If you look into the careers of these two strikers then you would agree that they are pretty much the same.
Once upon a time, Luis Suarez used to be the best striker in the Premier League during his time at Liverpool. He managed to score a ton of Worldies which made him a fan favourite for the English League. On the other hand, Sergio Aguero is the person behind the greatest Premier League memory of all time. It is unfortunate that he had to hang his boots unwillingly due to health issues. No wonder even after them leaving the Premier League fans still debate about their superiority.
Is Sergio Aguero better than Luis Suarez?
1: Personal Stats
The main job of any striker is to score goals and win matches. In their case, both of them has mastered it. In their long career at multiple times we saw them scoring goals and making it look easy. The Uruguayan has played more matches than Aguero and he has more goals too. He is also on the list of a few strikers who are currently having a 500+ goals mark.
Overall Career Stats:
The number of goals and assists Suarez have in his career can make him win over many top strikers. Despite having many goals in his career the player is often criticized for not scoring much in the Champions League.
After all, there is some truth behind those as Aguero has a lot more goals in the Champions League than Suarez. The big difference that exists is that Suarez won the Champions League and Aguero didn’t.
It is easy to point out Suarez being the winner in this category by a huge margin.
Pep Guardiola and Aguero know about winning titles inside and out. Sergio Aguero is one of the key reasons behind the major success of Manchester City in the Premier League. He is the greatest striker in their history and also holds that title for the Premier League. The player won a total of 17 trophies in his career including 5 Premier League titles. To lift a single English title is an achievement and Aguero has five in his cabinet.
Luis Suarez is always the main man in the team no matter where he played. Unlike Aguero, he just won a single league cup at Liverpool but he managed to get back and win plenty of titles with FC Barcelona. Our Atletico Madrid striker has 18 trophies inside his cabinet which includes 5 La Liga titles and a Champions League title which is missing from the cabinet of Aguero.
Despite having a fewer number of trophies the Argentinian is a little ahead of Suarez as he was a part of the construction of the team. In Barcelona Suarez played with world-class players like Messi, Neymar and Ter Stegen while Aguero competed in the Premier League even before Man City started making massive signings. He also achieved what Suarez couldn’t in his short time in England.
The ex-Man City player Sergio Aguero wins in this category.
3: International Career
People living in the areas of South America are lucky to have both these talents fight for Copa America. The memory of Suarez saving the goal from his hand is enough for us to understand that he is passionate about his country. The Argentine has also proved his importance on many occasions during his time with Argentina.
Both of them have won the same number of international tiles. They both are the South American Champions and won Copa America once in their career. Although Aguero won an Olympic Medal for Argentina too in the past. While Suarez has more goals for the country compared to Aguero. They even faced each other plenty of times and almost every single time Suarez outperformed Aguero.
The Uruguayan national Luis Suarez is our winner.
4: Individual Honours
The biggest achievement for any striker is to win the golden boot or be the highest scorer of his league and Suarez has done that in many leagues. He is the player who broke the Messi-Cristiano dominance in La Liga and snatched the Pichichi for himself.
Honours Of Sergio Aguero:
- Golden Boy: 2007
- World Soccer Young Player of the Year: 2009
- Premier League Golden Boot: 2014–15
- La Liga Ibero-American Player of the Year: 2007–08
- Don Balón Award: 2007–08
- FSF Player of the Year: 2014
- Manchester City Player of the Year: 2011–12, 2014–15
- PFA Team of the Year: 2017–18 Premier League, 2018–19 Premier League
- South American Team of the Year: 2005
- IFFHS CONMEBOL team of the decade 2011–2020
Honours of Luis Suarez:
- Ajax Player of the Year: 2008–09, 2009–10
- Dutch Footballer of the Year: 2009–10
- Eredivisie Golden Boot: 2009–10
- IFFHS World’s Best Top Division Goalscorer: 2010, 2014, 2016
- Copa América Best Player: 2011
- Copa América Team Of The Tournament: 2011
- PFA Team of the Year: 2012–13 Premier League, 2013–14 Premier League
- Liverpool Player of the Season: 2012–13, 2013–14
- PFA Players’ Player of the Year: 2013–14
- FWA Footballer of the Year: 2013–14
- Premier League Player of the Season: 2013–14
- Premier League Golden Boot: 2013–14
- FSF Player of the Year: 2013–14
- European Golden Shoe: 2013–14, 2015–16
- Trofeo EFE: 2014–15
- UEFA Champions League Team of the Season: 2014–15, 2015–16
- ESM Team of the Year: 2013–14, 2014–15, 2015–16
- FIFA Club World Cup Golden Boot: 2015
- FIFA Club World Cup MVP of the Final Match Trophy: 2015
- La Liga Pichichi Trophy: 2015–16
- Copa del Rey top scorer: 2015–16
- La Liga World Player of the Year: 2015–16
- Barcelona Player of the Season (Trofeo Aldo Rovira): 2015–16
- UEFA La Liga Team of The Season: 2015–16, 2016–17
- FIFA FIFPro World11: 2016
- La Liga Player of the Month: May 2016, December 2017, October 2018, December 2019
- Trofeo Alfredo Di Stéfano: 2020–21
It looks like Suarez almost achieved twice the number of trophies in his name compared to Aguero. He is the clear winner here.
Is Aguero better than Suarez?
No! It would be unfair to compare Aguero and Suarez in the same debate. These two sets of strikers are extremely talented and have given us wonderful memories but they are not on the same level. Luis Suarez had a long and fruitful career where he got into plenty of controversies but didn’t let all that ruin his career. If it was not for Suarez any other player would have had an average career after being involved in such rumours.
Meanwhile, Aguero is the most elite striker of the Premier League. He achieved what looked impossible and now he retires in peace after a beautiful career.
We are blessed to have experienced two such phenomenal strikers playing live before our eyes. One of them have already retired and the other may hang his boots in a few years too. Instead of comparing them let us look at all the beautiful memories, they gave us. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Who is the Better Player?